Monday, May 07, 2007

ROBBED!

Yes, robbed. As in, a man in our garage stealing our stuff. As in, Chris walks into our garage to see a man drop my bike and go running out. He then discovered our car had been rummaged through (nothing important in there, so nothing was gone, thankfully,) and his bike was gone.

We feel violated.

It was pretty scary actually. You never think you're going to just walk in on a total stranger in a part of your house. Chris yelled this horrifying yell (it reminded me of the time he dreamed he was fighting a demon. Yeah, SCARY) to scare him off and anyone else who might still be lurking in the garage, but luckily no one else was in there. The guy must have been working with someone else though, because he only had a few minutes and he was trying to steal two bikes.

So the full story. Ryland was already in bed, and Chris and Cade and I were in the backyard. It was starting to get dark (but still daylight) and I went in to draw Cade a bath. He was all muddy from "helping" Daddy work on the sprinkler system, which is also why the garage door was open. Chris had been going in and out using different tools. Anyway, Chris stopped for just long enough to strip Cade down, walk back to bathroom with him and tell me he was going to the gym. He then headed out to the garage. I had just put Cade in the bath when I heard that horrific yell I referenced earlier. Although I know full well that you are not supposed to leave a two year old in the bathtub by himself, I decided it was more important in that moment to find out if my husband was being attacked or something, so I went running out to the garage. I was hoping he was just scaring off some unfriendly dog, but unfortunately, it was worse than that.

We're extremely lucky, really, that only one item was stolen and the guys weren't violent at all. We've learned a valuable lesson to keep our garage door shut at ALL times, even if you're only leaving for a minute. And in case you're wondering, Cade was fine. I immediately went back to him when I found out that Chris was okay. He was painting on the wall with soap and hadn't even realized I was gone.

NEVER NEVER NEVER LEAVE ANYTHING OPEN!!!

Okay, got that off my chest.

5 comments:

Elisa said...

Yikes! That is really scary. Thank God that you're all safe, and I will take your warning to heart.

On a lighter note, I liked your Cade story from the last post. Funny.

Hope your week only gets better from here!

AW said...

HOLY COW!!! I am so sorry! When I was a senior in high school our house was robbed and we too, caught them in the act. I'm sure Chris' yell was not out of fear, but probably out of anger. I remember being extremely angry. Violated like you said. I will take your warning to heart. We leave ours open while we're working sometimes too.

So glad y'all are okay!

Christina said...

What in the world?!? That would definitely freak me out!

The Rowe Crew said...

Of my gracious!!! I'm so glad you are all ok, but I hate that it happened to you. I'd be scared if I was that guy - he better run away!

The Mills Gang said...

Hey there! I stumbled across your blog and I just can't believe this happened to you guys! Thank goodness everyone is okay! Wow, I guess you just never know but now we are going to have be more careful too!