Monday, March 03, 2008

A Little About Me

Well it's your lucky day. RAINA HAS POSTED!

Sarcasm aside, here's what I've been up to:

I started a Bible Study at church a few weeks ago. It's a Beth Moore, which I haven't done before. Sadly, it's been a long while since I've done any real Bible study, and I've been tired of feeling like I'm not growing and wondering whether I'm really pleasing God or just hanging around. I've started things before that were neat, but not necessarily hugely inspiring, but for once this is different. I think it really has reached me at a point where I've been disatisfied with a lot of things. Disatisfied with myself and with what I see in the world in particular. When I began this study, I was a week behind because my kiddos were sick during the first session. I had two weeks of home work to cram in a week in addition to my normal family committments. I found that I didn't have time to do much else, so I stopped watching TV entirely, stopped reading anything on the internet besides my email and occasionally a blog or two, and just took care of my family, studied, and prayed.

And it was great.

At first I didn't even realize that I hadn't watched TV in three weeks. I think is because for once, I was somewhat satisfied. I had things to do and didn't feel a need to sit and watch whatever was on. I wasn't a TV addict to begin with, but this was still an interesting feeling. On quiet evenings when Chris had gone to work out, I used to try to find something to watch, and then often feel guilty because very little of it is very clean, especially at night. But I needed something to fill the quiet of everyone in bed or gone from the house. I look back and think, how long has God been knocking at my door? Giving me the feeling I needed something in that solitude, but wanting me to need Him instead of TV? I think I'm going to give up TV indefinitely. I'm not going to promise never watching it again, but for now, I have no need to have it on. For me. And if you're wondering, the SuperReaders that I watched with Cade this morning doesn't count.

So that's me lately. I was going to post pics of the boys, but I think I'll start a new post for that.

9 comments:

Mandi said...

It IS my lucky day! I love this post, and as we've already discussed, can completely relate to it...when I do my homework, that is. (Which I did this week, btw.) See you tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Good job Mandi on the homework! You girls are kicking my butt this time around on the homework.

Thanks for this post Raina! It inspires me to catch up. TV is the great time waster afterall! Everything is permissible, but not all is beneficial. TV falls into that category I think.

Like you said last week, "When you are reading a great book, who needs TV?!"

AW said...

Raina, I've missed you! So good to hear about the bible study. I try to monitor my television as well. Such a time waster and most of it is junk! I watch Lost faithfully on Thursdays and Top Chef when it's on, but that's really about it. I NEED a bible study badly, but haven't found one that isn't months and months long. I know myself well enough that I'll get bored with one that's more than 8 or 10 weeks long. (so if you hear of anything...)

BTW...just read The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Kidd Monk. Great book!

Leigh said...

I'm so glad you got to post. I'm also glad to hear that you've been successful with giving up tv for more time with God. Good luck with your study.

Luke, Kristen and Pierce said...

This one hit close to home... :)

What study are you guys doing?

Raina said...

We are doing "Stepping Up" by Beth Moore. It studies the Psalms of Ascent. Fascinating OT history, especially in the accompanying videos, and she shows how incredibly it ties to Jesus later on. It's only a six week series, and would make a great group study. I was afaid my entry sounded a little preachy, but hopefully it will inspire anyone who, like me, has been slacking for too long.

Unknown said...

YEAH, it is my lucky day. I'm glad you posted. Maybe that was just what I needed to light my fire of motivation. At this point, I have none. Thanks for sharing a piece of your journey, it is inspiring.

Elisa said...

It sounds like a good study. You don't sound preachy. Sometimes I need some inspiration, for sure.

Keith said...

I just learned that you girls are in my mother's Bible study (Janie Majors)--Mandi met her this week. My mom sent me the book that you are studying and it is GOOD!!
You totally don't sound preachy in your post. Actually, it was just honest and inspiring. I have been thinking about it since I read it and needed to tell you what an encouragement it was. I remember telling you last time I saw you that what I needed was more time in the Word.